Sunday, March 02, 2014

Country Music For People Who Don't Like Country

I saw Shovels & Rope last night at the Variety Playhouse in Atlanta.

Judging from the crowd, they are very popular with old people and hipsters.  I'm talking PBR, blue-hairs, and handlebar mustaches.  I didn't fit in.  But, I love this band, too.

Weird.

I know what you're thinking.  You're thinking "Fat Kid, you aren't old and you're too fat to be a hipster.  So, how did you end up liking this band?"

Well, I saw Shovels & Rope open for Dawes last year at the Buckhead Theater and I was blown away.  They stole the show.

They are country music for people who don't like country.  They've got this rawness about them that is fantastic.  They sound very much like traditional country mixed with 50s rock n roll.  There's a touch of rockabilly, bluegrass, and then add some distortion for flavor.

There's just two people on stage, but they kick a whole lot of ass during their set.

Carrie Ann Hearst has a twangy, party-girl voice that is just amazing and very, very sexy.

Do yourself a favor and download their album "O' Be Joyful"




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home