Friday, September 17, 2010

leaving.....

this time next week, i will be out of the state of minnesota.

i have started to get sad about the fact that i am leaving. don't get me wrong, i wasn't planning on retiring in mankato freaking minnesota, however, i would have liked to stay for a little while.

i was really excited when i got the call from 95.7 the blaze. they called me on a wednesday and interviewed me, then called me back on friday and offered me the job. i was in mankato on that next monday. why travel so far, so fast?

the station i worked for in chattanooga, tn flipped from alternative to top 40 and let me go and year prior. i had been off the air and searching for another radio job.

so, when i got the call from mankato, i had to jump on it.

the general manager told me that i was "a human cartoon character". he also told me repeatedly that he loved my fearlessness on the air. i was hired to bring personality and attitude to the station. my numbers were good and people were listening.

i did get a few complaints though:

-the TV station complained when i said one of the weekend newscasters had "douchebag hair" and it "made me angry"

-the newspaper complained when i ripped them for having to redo voting for the reader's choice poll

-the sheriff's department complained when i said that tyler heilman was murdered

-the GM’s wife got pissed when i posted a photo of our part time receptionist in her halloween outfit. she was mad that i refered to it as “slutty” on my blog

-the bullet boys said that because i made fun of them on the air, no one came to their show at the underground



these weren't complaints from advertisers, they were fires that should have been put out. however, the personality and attitude that i was hired for became my demise.

i would have loved to stay. mankato is a great area and i really enjoyed my time here. but, alas, i have no reason to stay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home